12 actions to support and apply research in the NHS
Created on Tuesday, 14 May 2019.
12 point action plan to ensure the NHS keeps and improves it's position as being one of the most attractive places in the world to
undertake research in the life sciences.
Simplify NHS research processes:
- Manage excess treatment costs better.
- Eliminate delays in confirming multi-site trials.
Articulate the NHS’s own research priorities better:
- Set out research priorities for national NHS programmes.
- Increase research focus and capability on value and cost.
- Set out local NHS research and innovation priorities of Academic Health Science Networks and Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships.
Enhance our data infrastructure:
- Increase GP practice participation in the Clinical Practice Research Datalink.
- Back 3-5 local NHS systems as they create interoperable local care records that are also research-ready.
Support advanced research into leading edge technologies:
- Develop the NHS genomic medicine service.
- Develop the application of artificial intelligence in pathology and radiology at scale.
Improve and simplify our adoption ecosystem:
- Use NHS England’s specialised commissioning and commercial medicines clout, combined with NICE appraisals, to drive faster uptake of affordable, high impact innovation.
- Back AHSNs to become the main local NHS delivery vehicle for spreading innovations.
- Review and simplify the number of different national innovation projects and programmes.