EME remit changes
Created on Wednesday, 31 Aug 2016.
Part of the Evidence and Mechanism Evaluation (EME) Programme provides funding for translational research evaluating new or repurposed interventions that have the potential to promote health, treat disease and improve rehabilitation or long-term care. This arm of the programme has had a positive review and feedback from the research community, and as a result a joint MRC-NIHR vision has been developed to build on this success.
There is a now a much greater emphasis on:
- Novel methodologies and study designs reducing time and cost of evaluation.
- The stratification of patients based on biological or genetic characteristics.
- Use of information captured through digital technology shortening timescales or providing additional outputs.
- Collaborations with other funders from both charity and industry sectors.
- Integrated studies which could improve the understanding of disease and treatment mechanisms.
- Broadening the range of interventions being evaluated, including diagnostic or prognostic tests and decision-making tools, drugs or biological compounds, psychological treatments, medical devices, and public health initiatives delivered within the NHS.
Updated full remit